Sunday, December 15, 2013

speckled vision of the end of year


Glitter season hit us rather early this year, at the end of November, just a few days after Cristiano's birthday. Since then we have been decorating Christmas tree drawings with glitter, wearing glitter and eating glitter. It generally starts early morning and by lunch time our table looks like a glitter fairy crime scene and when enough has been drawn, painted and glued the girls generally move on to the computer where their Edwardian advent calendar awaits them with a new activity every day (thank you granny and Jacquie Lawson!). As Coline gets frustrated she goes back to last year's Alpine calendar which they never stopped enjoying.


A glittery snowman
Our breakfast table


Coline and the advent calendar

Glitter just seems to be everywhere we look, and so is mold, for the weeks before Christmas are the wettest around here, and not so cold either. I am not a big fan of mold, I hate the smell of it on our clothes. I even think that I am allergic to it, and so I am in the process of trying to get our house rid of it. So far the more natural solutions have failed to remove mold from wooden furniture (lots of air, sodium bicarbonate and vinegar). Lysoform (ammonia based liquid) seems to work better but if you know a better way, please let me know!
Rosario church from our window, through the rain.

Last year's Christmas tree was a homemade recycled substitute, which I quite liked. This year I was keen to get a real live tree that we will plant on the property where we now live. I like it that there is a tree almost as old as me that grew from small to as big as the house where I spent all my childhood. I did originally look for a proper pine tree but eventually settled for one that cannot handle the weight of tinsel, but will hopefully look as beautiful and majestic as the full-grown neighbor's tree. This tree is called araucaria. I have admired how their outline is etched on the side of hills. They look like thousands of arms carrying pompoms towards the sky. They produce nuts that are about five centimeters long and although I do not enjoy their taste, I am sure that some bird or squirrel will benefit from it. In other words, I love our Christmas tree.


our baby araucaria

the neighbor's araucaria

I have being going through a knitting phase and discovered that I am more of a hat knitter than a jersey knitter, and so all of a sudden we all seem to be wearing more hats than ever. I love the fact that I can browse through thousands of free patterns on Ravelry and learn something new everytime. I may tell you more about the things I knit once I have given some away as Christmas presents, for I would not want to spoil the surprise. 




Until next time, I wish you a merry and glittery festive season!

2 comments:

  1. Che bellissime fotogr....!
    against mold (moisissure, me dit D?), on peut aussi essayer le spray d'huiles essentielles pour purifier l'air, (just before you go out if you don't like the smell), just a little spray once, and put every thing which is watersucker: old bread, rice, pieces of chalk in the cupboards and wardrobes, argile in powder, )
    I'll have a look in my books of "trucs" it's said about "a plate full of chlorure de calcium to déshydrater l'atmosphère" and protect books" and others.
    Voilà pour ce soir, I'm getting cold, and need a warm cup of "maquis corse"...
    till next time, my loves,
    MC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo pour le joli bonnet bleu et aéré !
    moi,I'm better at re-using things, and I feel in the mood of cutting and sewing a very soft scarf to make a nice, warm and light cardigan for a 3 years old ...
    but the colour is ...chocolate. (no milk)...
    we'll have to add other colours, I bet...
    MC.

    ReplyDelete