Wednesday, April 6, 2011

briefly, we are better


Last week's storm was rapidly over and since then it has been sunny. My state of panic seems to have been sorted out with the appropriate homeopathic remedy (thanks to Leila's doctor who agreed to take me for a consultation straight after I cried during hers), and Leila also responded very well to her remedy. On top of that someone is now working in our house helping with the girls and the chores and that has changed my life (and my whole perspective on the world as it is these days in Ouro Preto). Cristiano left for one week in the field and my mum and Leila jumped on the opportunity to become best friends.

We had a little more trouble with the authorities here, or let us say some admin to sort out because of course there is NO procedure to declare a child who was born at home in Ouro Preto with a South African midwife. A million phone calls (most of wh
ich were given by Munyke whom we definitely cannot live without!), a trip to the hospital (where Coline was not allowed in) and a couple of "illegal" steps later (taken by some rare understanding officials) we were allowed to declare our child (in spite of everybody on the way saying that she is too tall to be only two weeks old...). And so I officially gave birth to

Coline Juliet Lana

on March 22nd, at our home, in the presence of 3 witnesses: Natasha, my mum and Cristiano. Two of them (witnesses) had to be there to sign the declaration, and so
not only were we lucky that my mum extended her stay, but Cristiano had to come back from the field so that there could be there together before she leaves.

Smooth birth does not seem to combine well with smooth admin...

Finger and footprinted: hard to see but my thumb and her foot are blue

2 comments:

  1. bebe semble tres intriguee par ces peregrinations et ces marques administratives, ou... par qlq chose de plus personnel?
    C'est vrai qu'avec ses cheveux, elle parait bcp plus que ses 2 petites semaines ...
    mc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !!! I am VERY honoured, not only did you fly me half way across the globe, take me into your family and now Juliet !!!!!! Do you know that that has never happened before ! :-)
    Sorry about all the admin!!
    I really miss you all, though it has been really hectic here !
    BIG hugs for all
    XXXxx

    Tash

    ReplyDelete